Stump Grinding Columbia SC
Stump Grinding Columbia SC
Tree stumps can be an eyesore for people who are particularly fond of their verdant lawn or garden. But removing a tree stump can be a complicated process involving several steps and varying procedures.
It’s for this reason that our clients acquire our services when face with a similar problem. Hi, we’re Columbia Pro Tree Service and we’ve been working in the tree removal Columbia SC area for years.
Our team consists of highly skilled certified arborists who have a wealth of experience under their belt. Among our experience is providing stump grinding services.
There are several reasons why people feel the need to remove a stump from their property. Chief among them is the prevention of insect infestation.
While several insects love to make a tree stump their home, the most common pests are ants. An ant infestation can be a real headache, especially if they invade your house and garden. The same goes when the insect you’ve attracted are termites.
As a preventive measure, most people remove the stump before an infestation takes place. They can either remove the stump themselves or hire a professional to do it.
Here’s the overview process for the former:
- Rent a stump grinder – this can set you back between $70 to $200 for half a day. Or $300 to $400 for a full day. Prices also vary depending on the machine’s brand.
- Safety gear – stump grinding is labor-intensive and potentially dangerous so make sure you’re wearing the proper safety gear. Mind your eyes, feet, and arms at all times.
- Stump grinding – position the teeth over the stump and start the machine. Slowly chip away the stump. Do not rush things as this can lead to an accident.
- Post grinding – after the stump is gone, remove the accumulated wood chips and rake the soil. Sprinkle grass seed over the area, water it, and cover the entire spread with mulch hay.
- Clear the area – remove rocks and stones in the stump’s surrounding area as this can damage the teeth of the stump grinder. If you damage it, you’re liable to pay that damage, which is around $30 per tooth.
Alternatively, you can hire a stump grinding professional if you aren’t confident in carrying out this procedure. A stump grinding company can efficiently take care of this problem and will charge depending on the stump’s diameter and the time it’ll take to complete the project. (Click this link for more information.)
As a final note, you may have read or seen online that some people choose to burn away their stumps. Keep in mind that open burning is considered illegal in some places. To see if you’re in the exception, you can search “illegal burning” or “illegal open burning” and adding your local municipality code.
If you opt to hire a company, however, please reach out to us. Here’s the link to our contact page. We’ve been in the tree removal Columbia SC business for years and we’d be delighted to take care of the problem for you.